Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Break trips have officially begun - Pensacola Charters


Spring Break trips have officially begun and the fishing has been pretty good, not quite great yet, but it’ll warm up a bit more, and then it will be on fire. We had a very cold winter and the fish (Sheepshead) are running a little late this year. Good thing is the redfish, black drum, and red snapper are biting, so we can go after several species on one trip.

I’m catching the big reds by sight fishing them in the shallows in depths of 3-6 ft in crystal clear water. The schools of fish range between 10 –100 fish, so multiple hookups are possible. Next week looks good weather wise and I think the sheepshead will finally b

e there as the water temps are finally right.
When fishing for sheepshead and redfish in the pass, the go-to bait is live shrimp, but you can also use fiddler crabs and oysters. This is the only time of the year I use live bait unless my client requests live bait on board. After the spring sheepshead run, I’ll be back on flats with my new Triton stalking reds and trout.
Here are some of the baits I like while I’m on the flats: ZMan baits and MirrOlure’s hard baits including their top-water plugs.

It’s going to be a great spring, so stay tuned for some fun reports and pics.

Thanks for stopping by! Tight Lines.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment